Contact your local county Extension office through our County Office List.

CSU Extension - A division of the Office of Engagement. Providing trusted, practical education to help you solve problems, develop skills and build a better future.
Established 1908

Tap to Call
Late April Hard Fro...

Notifications
Clear all

Late April Hard Frost Across Front Range Dieback  

RSS

Brisnehan
(@brisnehan)
23/05/2020 12:15 am  

This is the start of my second season in my back yard. Over a year ago I spent the late part of the winter preparing the ground, end posts and wire.
Just over a year ago I planted two each of Itaska, Marquette and Cayuga since vinefera if even viable along the front range would be challenging at best until I get setup.
One Marquette was bad and never budded. Got good steady growth from the remaining 5 vines all last summer of 2019.
Replanted the Marquette that didn't make it a couple of weeks ago in mid May. After inspecting last years canes most of last summers growth died back. Finally last weekend barely my first sign of life on both the new and one year old Marquettes.
Still nothing from Itaska or Cayuga as of today May 22, 20. Wondering how any other grape vines are doing in Colorado.

Brisnehan
(@brisnehan)
31/05/2020 2:12 pm  

It's the last day of May 2020. Three days ago I was looking over my vines wondering if only one made it through their first winter and noticed what looked like the Itaska shooting from the soil level. Just confirmed late yesterday that it is in fact a grape shoot coming up (attaching image). There also appears to be a bud from last summers wood. For comparison, the neighbor has an old leggy table grape vine which is loaded with foliage at this point. Still no sign of live from the Cayugas.

ReplyQuote
Brisnehan
(@brisnehan)
25/06/2020 4:41 pm  

A bit late in the season it seems but it is June 24th and I see the first sign of budding on one of my Cayuga vines. Again, second summer growth after late hard freeze in April. Hope to get thicker, harder wood by end of summer on most plants. Also hoping for more gradual spring 2021 but will plan for otherwise and try mulching better up the trunk this winter. At this point the Cayuga is way behind the other vines which I am letting bush out to prevent bull canes while still tying and training the main healthiest canes up the middle. Still one vine left (Cayuga) that has no buds yet which still appears alive. New approach, planning double trunk vines where offered after this hard lesson learned.

ReplyQuote
nekraj
(@nekraj)
30/06/2020 10:53 am  

I love April hard frost.

I love my India.

ReplyQuote
Brisnehan
(@brisnehan)
07/07/2020 9:59 pm  

Another update, two weeks later and after some thunderstorm activity over 4th of July weekend, yesterday afternoon, July 6 2020 and I am finally seeing a bud from last remaining vine, Cayuga, coming up from the soil line. I have been very reluctant to disturb the soil around this vine for fear that the bud was just below the surface as is now confirmed. Took a picture this morning (attached). This one REALLY seems behind schedule at this point.

ReplyQuote
Share: